Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Archer Farms Honey Barbecue Ribs Chips

Most of the time, when you see "rib" flavored chips—or chips with some other barbecued meat flavor, you get a chip that simply has some tangy barbecue sauce on it...or some kind of funky steak sauce, similar to A-1. Worst case scenario, you get a chip that tastes like they fried ketchup into it or something weird like that.

Well, that was the worst case scenario that I could imagine prior to tasting these things. But these actually taste like pig flesh. Or "schwein fleisch," if you prefer it auf Deutsch.

They taste a little like pork rinds if you've ever had those, but more than that—it tastes like they took meat from an old dead pig and rubbed it all over these otherwise perfectly good, heavily-ridged, thick-cut potato chips. (They didn't actually do that, as far as I can tell. It just tastes that way).

There is a certain tang to the taste of these chips, as if the dead pig meat they rubbed all over them did have a bit of barbecue sauce already on it. But it's not a particularly good BBQ sauce. It's edible at best. Or it would be edible if it weren't mixed in with all of that swine-skin flavor.

I guess I should have taken the hint that these were especially porky chips since there's a picture of ribs right there on the bag. Know what else was on the bag? A big clearance sticker. They marked these down almost 50% and that's one of the main reasons why I bought them. That's what I get for being cheap.

That could be evidence that Target has come to their senses and decided to discontinue these things. Which would be excellent. They take up space on the shelf where tasty chips could go. They should have just labeled these "Schwein Fleisch Kartoffeln."

It wasn't just me. Sonia discovered the pigskin taste all by herself. We also both agree that there was very little natural potato taste, too. Which is unfortunate, because that could have been the saving grace of these utterly revolting chips.

As it stands, we'll have to go ahead and create the "3 star" tag just for these things. That means that this is basically the worst Archer Farms product that we've come by so far. Blech!

I give these chips 3 out of 10 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta disagree Nathan. These chips ring true with me and I think they're some of the best chips I've ever had. I have had a bag that wasn't good, but usually they're great every time. I go to Target specifically for these chips... or at least I used to. I too think they are being discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Well hey man thanks for sharing your opinion here. You are free to disagree.

    I would totally give you the rest of the bag that I tried because they're still sitting on our counter and neither my wife nor I will finish them!

    ReplyDelete

Search The Web

Custom Search