Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Simply Balanced Mixed Berry Smoothie Bites

A smoothie in a bag, huh? This product is unique to say the least, but I'm still not really sure what to make of it. It's like the illegitimate lovechild of a trail mix and a smoothie, with some cereal DNA mixed in there somehow.

The whole thing has a strange texture. The little dehydrated strawberry slices are very similar to ones I've seen in certain cereals, like Kashi Strawberry Fields for example. They're styrofoam-like and sour at first, but then they sort of turn sweet and smooth in your mouth. It's a very strange sensation.

Likewise, the little yogurt discs are chalky, almost gritty, at first. But they give way to a more realistic yogurt texture and flavor as you chew them, and they dissolve in your mouth in a peculiar way. They're not "yogurt chips" like you'll find in certain Archer Farms trail mixes. They're a whole new animal to me. 

Once all the ingredients dissolve in your mouth, I must say there is a distinct similarity to a fresh berry smoothie, but by the time everything has gelled in your 98.6° saliva, it's no longer cold like a real smoothie would be, and you might already be a bit grossed out by that point.

Another huge drawback with this item is its three dollar price tag. Way too much for way too little. I easily ate the whole bag in one sitting. This is nothing more than a snack. And unless it comes down in price, I can't see myself ever buying this product again, although I might check out one of the other flavors just for the sake of reviewing it.

Now don't get me wrong, this product doesn't taste terrible. It's just not my cup of tea. If you think a dry berry smoothie sounds like a delicious snack, by all means, try it. I just think there are a lot better options in the food aisles at Target.

I give this product 6 out of 10 stars.


2 comments:

  1. I blame the gelatin for creating a weird consistency. Why oh why must companies put gelatin in so many things? Do you know that Planter's shelled sunflower seeds contain gelatin? God forbid they just be sunflower seeds and maybe a little salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call, Gigi! Yeah, I'm pretty sure they could find some way to do sunflower seeds without gelatin if they tried.

    ReplyDelete

Search The Web

Custom Search