Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Archer Farms Spicy Habanero Lime Cream Cheese Wontons

These are weird. And I mean that in the best way possible. I've never had anything quite like them before, and I pride myself on being very open to new experiences and having tried lots of random foods. I've eaten chapulines (chili-covered grasshoppers, popular in parts of Mexico), açaí berries, kangaroo meat (never been to Australia, though - long story), eel, several different dishes involving cow stomach, and Milk-Bones (again, long story), among other things. Oh, and quite possibly, horse meat. I had those Ikea meatballs during that recent, heavily-publicized scandal, and even though they claim they didn't serve horse in their American stores, I'm not sure I believe them entirely.

Now I'm not saying the ingredients in these appetizers are necessarily from unusual animals or exotic plants or anything like that. I'm just saying if you can throw something together that really doesn't taste like something I've already had, you've already impressed me.

Even though there's not an ounce of seafood in these, there was something that reminded me of seafood. Maybe it's because there was cream cheese in the Lobster Bites and Crab Rangoon. Although these wontons don't taste like either of those other hors d'oeuvres, I think in a way, the cream cheese is more a base flavor than the seafood itself, or in this case, the peppers themselves.

The dipping sauce was somewhere in between that old school McDonald's sweet and sour sauce and, I dunno, like a funky orange marmalade or something. The wontons themselves were spicy, cream cheesy, and deliciously bready. I've seldom had such scrumptious fried dough. Well, ok, I guess it's the same stuff on the aforementioned Lobster Bites and Crab Rangoon. But it's good. That's my point. And the lime...the level of liminess was perfect. You can certainly taste it, but it's not overbearing.

I'm gonna go ahead give this puppy 8 out of 10 stars. 




2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I love this because it was about the only way to get me to stop being a pescatarian. As far as the sauce, it just tastes like regular Chun's sweet and sour sauce that neighborhood Asian food restaurants serve all of the time buried in a million packets of soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Shamontiel. I learned a new word: "pescatarian."

      :)

      Delete

Search The Web

Custom Search