Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Archer Farms Indian Inspired Samosas

I'm starting to think the frozen section of Target's grocery might be host to all kinds of hidden culinary gems and well-kept secrets. In my many years as a Target shopper, I only recently had the guts to shell out $5 or $6 to try the items there. These little guys were only $4, so I decided to give them a whirl.

I bought the Crab Rangoon a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Next up: Indian Samosas. I've been a big fan of Indian food since I first tried it some 10 years ago. And although I wouldn't go so far as to say these are restaurant-quality, they're not a far cry from it either.

My wife absolutely adored them. She raved about them for hours after eating them and suggested that we pick up more on our next visit to Target. She likes vegetarian dishes more than I do. I certainly don't mind eating veggies, but I do crave meat and poultry pretty often, so I wouldn't have minded if these samosas had been filled with chicken as well as the potatoes, lentils, green peas, and onions that you'll find in this vegetarian variety.

In addition to the aforementioned veggies, you can actually taste Indian curry, and the coating came out of the oven crispy and flaky. They're quite snackable. One problem: I felt they wanted some kind of dipping sauce, and they don't come with one in the package. We looked up what might go with vegetable samosas. One site suggested eating them with mango chutney. But lacking mango chutney, we perused our cupboards for a suitable alternative. We decided a leftover packet of Polynesian sauce from Chick-fil-a would have the closest approximation to the tangy sweetness of a fruit chutney, so it became our dipping sauce for these tasty oven pastries, and it worked surprisingly well. I would use it again next time we buy them.

All in all, I'd recommend these to anyone who likes Indian food and veggie dishes, and maybe to those who are simply looking to try something new and different.

I give them 8 out of 10 stars.




5 comments:

  1. I have been buying these for over a year now. Recently though, targets stopped stocking them. When I went today to get some, they were packaged differently and had been changed. I figured I would give them a shot.

    What a bad idea...the revamped samosas were horrible. They looked disgusting and tasted gross. They should revert back to the old ones. The recipe was closer to the real thing and they tasted way better.

    For now though, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the new ones are horrible!!!! I really liked the originals. What a disappointment.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like version 2.0 is not as good as the version I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this page tonight searching for other people to see if they had a similar experience. The new ones are really bad. It's upsetting because the old version was so good.

    Glad to see someone else had the same reaction. maybe they will switch it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, Jimmy. Sounds like the good folks at Target made a mistake. Let's hope they fix it!

    ReplyDelete

Search The Web

Custom Search