Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Archer Farms Spinach & Goat Cheese Wood-Fired Pizza

This pizza certainly has more flavor than the Mediterranean Pizza. That's mostly due to the goat cheese. And for most Americans, goat cheese is an acquired taste. It's a bit more pungent than most cow-cheeses that we're accustomed to, and it's a bit sour.

When I was a kid, I had really bad food allergies, especially to very common foods like wheat and milk. One of the strategies we employed to defeat the allergies was to rotate our foods. I could only have cow's milk and dairy products one out of every 4 days. The other days, I had dairy substitutes like soymilk or goat's milk. And on those "goat milk days," I also had some goat cheese with my sandwiches, etc. It took a while, but I really grew to like it.

My wife Sonia likes it, too. She grew up in L.A., where there's a plethora of fine dining establishments that find ways to incorporate high-quality goat cheese into their offerings. So between the two of us, this pizza was a pretty big hit. But make no mistake: if you don't like goat cheese, or if you've never had goat cheese, there's a very good chance this product won't agree with you.

There's also spinach, basil, tomatoes, and regular cheese on the pizza, but most of its flavor comes from the aforementioned goat cheese, which comes in thick, round slabs, as depicted on the packaging. Sonia and I wish the goat cheese were a bit more evenly distributed. A few bites will have massive goat cheese taste, and then the next few bites will have none of it. I suppose it would have been possible to manually redistribute the goat cheese with a knife or something, but we were both quite hungry and in the middle of a "feeding frenzy" of sorts, so we just plowed through the entire pizza in a matter of minutes.

Between this one and the Mediterranean pizza, I'd say this one is the victor. My wife agrees. But again, you really have to like goat cheese. Otherwise, you might find yourself scraping the little slabs of goat cheese off, and in doing so, you'll eliminate this pizza's primary source of flavor and uniqueness.

This product is worthy of 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search The Web

Custom Search