Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Archer Farms Sea Salt Caramel & Almond Granola Bites

If you're putting the word "indulgent" on your product, it's probably because you're trying to attract the dessert crowd. If you're putting the word "granola" on your product, it's probably because you're trying to attract the health-conscious crowd. If you're printing both of those words on the packaging, there's a good chance you're just trying to confuse everyone enough so that they'll just go ahead and buy the product to find out for themselves what the dilly is.

And it worked on me. A member of both the health conscious crowd and a card-carrying member of Dessert Lovers Anonymous, I simply had to try this enigmatic snack I found hiding in the cereal bar aisle of my local Target. I was also intrigued by the use of the word "bites," rather than the traditional and expected "bars." Was that just a way to make us feel better about eating something "indulgent"?

If I had paid more attention to the box, I would have noticed that there were 15 "bites" inside. There's no way you'll get even half that many "bars" into a box this size. And "bites" is pretty close to what they are. Maybe 2 bites. But "15 count 2-bite granola snacks" is clunky and doesn't work for marketing purposes.

But just in case anyone is wondering about the product itself, I'll go ahead and say that these are among the best-tasting things I've ever had from Archer Farms. Similar to other salt and caramel products I've tried, the sea salt somehow enhances the creamy caramel goodness in an unexpected way. The chocolate works well, too. There's not too much of it. It's not too dark, not too light. Perfect. The texture of the granola bar is good, if maybe a tad too stiff. It's relatively moist and chewy. Pretty standard.

Really my only complaint is about the impracticality of the individual "bites." They're too small. However, this can easily be overcome by eating more than one. Or maybe I should just take Archer Farms' cue and exercise portion control for a change. I suppose a 70 calorie shot of chocolate and caramel is plenty to spike up my blood sugar for a spell while I'm hiking or exercising or doing any of those things that I should do a lot more often.

I give this product 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search The Web

Custom Search